More Writing Cheat Sheets

Since I received a lot of positive feedback on my first list of 'cheat sheets' and was tipped off to several more since then, I thought I'd do a follow-up post. In the season of giving, here's another list of helpful reference web pages:

115 Words for 'Walks'  This cheat sheet upped the ante on 60 Words for Walk. Thanks Alan Donahue!

Taste & Aroma infographic Find the right word(s) to describe what your character is sensing.

Robert Plutchik's Wheel of Emotions A color chart with 8 basic emotions and 8 advanced emotions each composed of 2 basic ones. It's simpler to understand than to describe!

Realistic Travel A table for estimating travel times by various means of transport. Even pigeon.

Stages of Grief  Since many fictional characters experience grief at some point, this table can help you get it right.

The Science of Getting Drunk An excellent infographic to help describe realistic alcohol consumption and its effects (click to zoom in so you can read it).

The Limits of the Human Body  Ever wonder exactly how much your character can endure? If they're human, this may help.

The Hero's Journey in chart form. See Joseph Campbell's narrative in a visual progression.

Did I miss any of your favorites? Let me know!

For even more writing tips, tricks, reminders, and cheat sheets, check out my Pinterest board on the topic.

Author Update: While my editor is re-reading the revised Crimson & Cream, I'm working on six chapters of Mirrors & Mist that I decided to re-write after input from my editor. I'm moving the chapters' focus from flashback to real time, with the backstory sprinkled in. While I won't achieve my 2013 release-date goal for Mirrors & Mist, I can promise it will be available in 2014, along with the revised second edition of Crimson & Cream.

Happy Holidays Everyone! See you in 2014!


Comments